- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Marine Science or Policy, Political Science, Communications or a similar field;
- Four or more years experience in public interest environmental advocacy, public policy and organizing around environmental issues. This is not an entry-level organizer position;
- Experience with, and knowledge of, environmental issues, particularly ocean conservation science and policy, and a passion for and commitment to the environmental mission of CLF. Candidates should have the ability to understand and explain the science and policy aspects of environmental problems and their solutions;
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people in a collaborative fashion, to be tenacious yet flexible, determined yet good natured, and with the highest personal and professional integrity;
- Political awareness and demonstrated excellence and sound judgment in a variety of circumstances;
- Excellent analytic abilities, exemplary oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge and demonstrated use of web-based environmental activism tools, including social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook, to build strong coalitions and public action;
- Ability to work both independently and in team settings and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Good sense of humor;
- Must be willing and able to travel.
Friday, December 12, 2014
Boston CLF Ocean Planning Job Opening
The following job opportunity with the Conservation Law Foundation is available. Their offices are located in downtown Boston.
CLF has an opening for an Ocean Planning Outreach Manager. Reporting to the Vice President and Director of Ocean Conservation and the Ocean Campaign Director, he or she will be dedicated to carrying out the strategies and tactics necessary to achieve the goals of CLF’s Ocean Management Initiative by engaging in a robust education and outreach campaign to promote improved management of coastal and ocean waters and ecosystem-based ocean planning that promotes resilient, healthy, and productive ecosystems, and is developed through a robust public participation process. The Ocean Planning Outreach Manager will be charged with identifying and engaging various regional and community leaders, resource managers, ocean use stakeholders, scientists and educators, coastal community residents and the media in a variety of venues to advocate and build active public support for ecosystem-based ocean planning and the protection of important ocean wildlife and habitat. CLF is seeking a self-starter who thrives in a dynamic environment and welcomes the exciting challenges of working for a regional environmental advocacy organization dedicated to the mission of protecting New England’s environment. This position requires considerable travel within New England.
Responsibilities of the Ocean Planning Outreach Manger will include but are not limited to:
· public and stakeholder outreach and coalition building;
· understanding and articulating detailed ocean policy issues;
· research and development of print and web-based outreach materials;
· outreach through use of web-based social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook;
· updating and management of dedicated ocean planning website; and
· public speaking, including representing CLF at public meetings, hearings and forums addressing ocean resource conservation and management.
The Ocean Planning Outreach Manager must be comfortable working with a broad range of stakeholders including industry, scientists, elected officials and community activists. This position offers an opportunity to work in a wide range of forums including federal, state, and municipal administrative rulemaking, federal and state legislative lobbying, science and policy symposiums, public outreach events, and a variety of print and electronic media.
Qualified candidates will have:
Salary and Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
Send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g., “SMITH J RESUME”) and a detailed cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g., “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make Ocean Planning Outreach Manager“” the subject of your e-mail. Application materials must be received no later than January 15, 2015. Absolutely no phone calls or in-person visits please.